Sand and Blast blog, November 18, 2010
“News that the UN Security Council “deplores” the recent violence in the Moroccan-occupied territories of Western Sahara will be small comfort to the Sahrawi who are suffering death, beatings and disappearances in the disputed territory. While some members of the Security Council have proposed sending a UN investigative team to Western Sahara to assess the situation and the claims and counter-claims,…..”
Read Nick Brook’s Sand and Blast blog post >>
Stephen Zunes, Professor of Politics and Chair of Mid-Eastern Studies at the University of San Francisco
…Morocco has been able to persist in flouting its international legal obligations toward Western Sahara largely because France and the United States have continued to arm Moroccan occupation forces and blocked the enforcement of resolutions in the UN Security Council demanding that Morocco allow for self-determination or even simply the stationing of unarmed human rights monitors in the occupied country.
Date: 18 Nov 2010
After the expulsion of almost all foreign activists and access barred to journalists, it is increasingly difficult to obtain any news from the Western Sahara, around ten days from the Moroccan army raid on a Saharawi camp set up in a peaceful protest a few kilometres from the main city of the former Spanish colony El Ayoun.
Based on reports from sources close to the Saharawi, also last night dozens of people were arrested in police operations and loaded onto buses that headed north, into Moroccan territory.
Read more >>
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 17 November 2010
by Miguel-Anxo Murado
The outrage in Spain at Zapatero’s failure to condemn the violent clampdown in Western Sahara reflects a historical guilt
Read more >>
8 November 2010 – The parties to the dispute over Western Sahara met today in New York for the start of the third round of United Nations-backed informal talks, while clashes on the ground between Moroccan security forces and Saharawi protesters have reportedly resulted in a number of deaths and injuries.
12 November 2010
Statement by the South African Government on the latest events in the Occupied Territory of Western Sahara
The South African Government has learnt with shock about the heavy-handed manner in which the Moroccan security forces broke up a protest at a camp in Laayoune in the occupied territory of the Western Sahara on 8 November 2010. It is deplorable that, as a result of this incident, lives were lost, particularly those of innocent civilians. Boukhari said. “The situation is an international disgrace.”
Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:55pm GMT
* Independence group threatens to reconsider peace talks
* Polisario says U.N. failed to protect Sahara’s people
By Patrick Worsnip
UNITED NATIONS, Nov 15 (Reuters) – Western Sahara’s independence movement on Monday demanded a U.N. probe of recent clashes in the territory and threatened to reconsider its role in peace talks with Morocco unless they brought quick results.
The demands came in a letter from the Polisario Front’s U.N.
Moroccan Forces Raid Protest Camp in Western Sahara
Thousands of people demonstrated in Madrid on Saturday against Morocco’s recent crackdown in Western Sahara. Moroccan security forces last week raided a camp where some 20,000 Sahrawis had been staging a massive protest against the Moroccan occupation.
Program on TV with Stephen Zunes and Human rights Watch director of emergencies speaking from Western Sahara:
“Monday 8 November 2010 started with a shattering irony. In the Freedom Camp the blood of the Saharawi people was spilled as the United Nations US Envoy Christopher Ross was preparing to facilitate informal talks between the representatives of the Kingdom of Morocco and the Polisario Front……
ANC letter >>