At the ALP conference held in Melbourne on 24-26 July 2015 the following resolution was passed:
• Strongly supports the right of the Saharawi people to self-determination;
• Expresses concerns about reports of human rights abuses in Western Sahara, including by Human Rights Watch and Resolution 282 moved this year by the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights;
• Calls on all parties to work with the international community to develop and implement independent and credible measures to ensure full respect for human rights, bearing in mind their relevant obligations under international law;
• Urges the UN to use its mission in Western Sahara to monitor and uphold human rights, and ensure that any use of the natural resources of Western Sahara is in accordance with the wishes of the Saharawi people and for their benefit;
• Calls on the UN to proceed without further delay with the organisation of the long overdue referendum of self-determination;
• Urges the Australian Government to extend all due assistance to the UN in its efforts to organise a free and fair referendum in Western Sahara, and to maintain an appropriate dialogue with the Polisario Front, UN-acknowledged representatives of the people of Western Sahara.